Thursday, December 31, 2009

(insert primal scream)

Last night, I was merrily knitting along, on row 102 of 105, when disaster struck. My needle cable snapped. My shawl exploded off the needle and turned into a jumbled mess. I spent the next 20 minutes carefully picking up the stitches. But now that I have the stitches picked up, I'm wary of knitting them on KP again. Since I only have 3 3/4 rows to go, it should be done quickly, but...

The Dragon is stalled. Wollmeise Lace-garn does not like to be frogged. When I went to cast on again, I found that it considered plying a suggestion rather than an imperative. I ended up cutting off several feet of what was essentially tiny threads vaguely related to one another. Even so, what remains is still incredibly splitty. I'm of two minds about this yarn. The pros are that it's the perfect color, the drape is wonderful and it has good stitch definition. The cons are that it's is very splitty and doesn't take frogging well. It also has an heretofore unexpected halo, which I definitely don't like. I honestly thought the difficulty in knitting this project would be the pattern, not the yarn!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! How frustrating! KP has a lot of problems with their needles--though if you call them they will certainly replace yours at no cost.

I'm sorry the yarn for the Dragon is so difficult to work with. The result may be nice, if you're going to be cursing and screaming while the actual knitting is going on...well...have you considered swapping it out for something else?

Linnet said...

Yes, I am thinking about using another yarn. It has to be just the right shade of red, though, which is the problem.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!