Thursday, July 26, 2007

Grand Prix Madness

Today is the beginning of Grand Prix madness in downtown San Jose. Actually, it started much earlier, when the grandstands went up around the 4th of July, but today is the day the streets are closed. Last year, I worked just outside the perimeter of the track, but I've since changed jobs, so I'm actually on the track this year. In fact, it's right outside my window at work. Practice doesn't start until tomorrow, thankfully. However, since I'm a contractor, I'm grateful that I don't need to stay home today and tomorrow, like unlucky people who work inside the track.

I admit that it is kind of fun to drive, sedately, down a race track, with the barriers up and the empty grandstands, but it can be a little confusing at the lights, since the barriers make it hard to judge distances. But still, the cars make satisfactory Vrooom! noises against the barriers, even my 10 year old Pontiac.

On to knitting! I did something bad to my lace scarf, I'm still not sure what. Anyway, it looks rather sad at the moment, and I am frustrated. I seem to have lost four stitches, out of 36! And I can't figure out where, probably because I'm frustrated. So I've set it aside. I was going to work on one of my UFOs tonight, but they're all so hot. So I cast on for a sleeve of Curvalicious, for a KAL I was supposed to be working since May. I'm using Rowan Calmer and it's very pleasant to work with, even though I want to stick the wooden needles in a pencil sharpener. At least I had dpns in 7.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about the dragonscale scarf? If so, I know what you mean about losing stitches! I keep losing one or two (yarnovers that disappear on the purl row, usually), and I end up having to undo two rows to find the mistake. Grrrr!