Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Bacon!

My biggest regret on becoming a vegetarian over 15 years ago was giving up bacon. (And corn dogs, but there's a satisfactory replacement for those.) Fakin' Bacon? I hope you like tempeh. I sure don't. Smart Bacon? Ew, no. Morningstar Farms Bacon Strips? They've been justifiably accused of tasting like bacon-flavored Fritos. Not that there's anything wrong with bacon-flavored Fritos. But now, there's bacon salt! It really does taste like bacon, and it's vegetarian and kosher-certified. No actual bacon is involved. It comes in 3 flavors, original, hickory, and peppered, and all are tasty. Bacon! It's what's for breakfast, lunch, dinner....Ok, it's salt, so it's not health food, but still, bacon flavor without guilt or fat! I've even heard it's possible to make a respectable BLT by salting the tomato. I'm currently pondering how to use it to make a tofu rub. Or real corn chowder, substituting the bacon salt for the bacon. Mmmm.

No comments: